Publish in core platform
Target audienceDigital skills for ICT professionals and other digital experts.
Digital technology / specialisationInternet of Things
Digital skill levelDigital Expert
Geographic Scope - CountryEuropean Union
Industry - Field of Education and TrainingInter-disciplinary programmes and qualifications involving Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs)
Type of initiative
EU institutional initiative
Form of funding
Target groupPersons in tertiary education (EQF 6)
The Intelligent Cities Challenge (ICC), an initiative launched by the European Commission, is looking for experts who are passionate about making a difference and shaping the transformation of Smart Cities. The ICC programme (2023-25) recently selected 64 cities from across Europe to participate in its new edition. The experts will support these cities through guiding the city team, which is composed of city administration staff and business representatives.
The required roles are as follows:
- Lead expert: The lead expert is the city’s champion, who guides the city through the ICC programme. They act in a range of capacities – as a coach, advisor, supporter and critical friend. The lead expert is invested in the city’s success and will help it shape its trajectory to deliver maximum impact.
- Sector expert: Sector experts are the source of rich, detailed implementation knowledge. They will assist cities within their chosen sector path, by sharing their expertise in the field. They help implementations get specific and impactful.
- Thematic expert: Thematic experts bring in depth knowledge on the 4 themes (funding, procurement, reskilling, social economy). They will assist cities to better understand what they can do to successfully bring forward the green and digital transition collaborating with businesses and leveraging public sector entities.
Interested experts are requested to complete where they will showcase their background and experience and express their desired areas of interaction within the ICC. This survey serves as the initial stepping stone to evaluate their skills and determine your role in the advisory services of ICC.
Benefits of being part of the pool of experts
- Working closely with one of the largest EU supported city initiatives, combining core and mentor cities, from within EU27 and globally
- Network opportunities with likeminded city stakeholders, be it from city departments, the business ecosystem and policy makers
- Being part of the initiative will allow you to be informed about policy and city developments at European Union level
- Remunerated role in any of the three types of expertise.
The full details on the ICC expert roles including expectations in terms of main tasks, skills and experience and an overview of the steps in the selection processes are available in this document.
The deadline for the submission of the Expression of Interest (EOI) for the ICC Lead expert role through the survey is 13 August 2023.